Returning to the Farm Workshop
Dec. 9-10, 2022
- $70 per person
- Dec. 9, 1:30-8 p.m.
- Dec. 10, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Includes virtual follow-up meetings via Zoom on Jan. 12 and Feb. 2, both from 6:30-9 p.m. CT
- Holthus Convention Center, 3130 Holen Ave., York
Returning to the Farm, Dec. 9 and 10, 2022, in York, is for families who are in the transition process of bringing more family members back to the farm. This event will give families the tools and resources to have a successful transition with more family joining the operation.
Bringing a young person into a farm/ranch operation presents challenges. However, the business operation can accomplish numerous goals by:
- Helping the young person get a solid start in the operation
- Keeping the farm or ranch in the family
- Ensuring a comfortable financial future for all involved
However, success does not come automatically. It requires effort. Blending a variety of talents and personalities into one farming or ranching operation takes planning, communication, and effective management.
The Returning to the Farm program is designed to assist families and operations in developing a transition plan and successful working arrangements that will meet the needs of multiple families.
During the program, participants will:
- Look at the communication process between family members
- Set both personal and professional goals
- Develop a farm or ranch transition plan
- Identify estate planning issues and develop effective strategies for planning for the future
- Review financial feasibility and financial tools for success
Students, beginning farmers and established operations — including entire families — are welcome.
Friday, Dec. 9
- 2:00 p.m. - Welcome & Introductions
- 2:30 p.m. - Goals
- 4:15 p.m. - Break
- 4:30 p.m. - A Conversation With an Ag Lawyer
- 6:00 p.m. - Dinner
- 7:00 p.m. - Communications Part 1
Saturday, Dec. 10
- 8:30 a.m. - Communications Part 2: How Personalities Handle Decision Making and Transition
- 10:15 a.m. - Break
- 10:30 a.m. - Earlier Conversation Continued
- 12:00 p.m. - Lunch
- 1:00 p.m. - Family Work Time and Group Conversations
- 2:30 p.m. - Closing
The workshop fee is $70 per person. That includes dinner on Dec. 9, 2022, and lunch on Dec. 10, 2022. It also includes two follow-up meetings, to be held virtually, in the evenings on Jan. 12, 2023 and Feb. 2, 2023.
The Holthus Convention Center is located at 3130 Holen Ave., in York, Neb. Registration does not include a hotel, which will need to be booked on your own if you would like to stay nearby.
If you have questions, please contact Allan Vyhnalek, Extension Educator, at 402-472-1771 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration deadline: Dec. 2, 2022Register